Official Time of Filing
The official time of filing is when a document is entered and docketed in CM/ECF, regardless of the filing method (in person, electronically through CM/ECF, or through eSR).
THIS ONLINE TOOL IS FOR SELF-REPRESENTED DEBTORS ONLY
Bankruptcy has serious long-term financial and legal consequences and hiring a competent attorney is strongly recommended. The Bankruptcy Court is not permitted to provide legal advice. Individuals filing for bankruptcy without an attorney are still responsible for knowing and following all of the legal requirements.
What is eSR?
- eSR is an online tool to help individuals complete a chapter 7 bankruptcy petition when they have decided to file bankruptcy without an attorney.
Who can use eSR?
- Individuals who wish to file a bankruptcy petition and who live in the Northern District of West Virginia can use eSR.
- Important Note: eSR is not available to attorneys or bankruptcy petition preparers. eSR is not designed for business or corporate bankruptcy filings. eSR is only available for chapter 7 filings.
Why use eSR?
- There is no cost to use eSR. Pay only the filing fee.
- eSR has a guided, step-by-step process that allows you up to 45 days to complete your documents.
- Your personal information is only accessible to you using a unique login and password assigned to you.
- eSR is accessible 24 hours a day from any Internet-enabled computer.
- There is no software to download or purchase.
How do I use eSR?
- Obtain credit counseling from a court-approved credit counseling agency. The law requires credit counseling before filing bankruptcy.
- Collect all of your financial documents before you begin.
- Create a user profile, unique login, and password.
- Answer questions about your property, income and debts.
- Complete and sign the eSR Declaration form.
- Submit or mail the Declaration form, Statement of Social Security Number, and filing fee to the bankruptcy court.
- Note: An automatic stay (injunction) is NOT in effect until a bankruptcy case number is issued by the bankruptcy court.
- Note: A bankruptcy petition WILL NOT BE FILED until the Declaration Form and the Statement of Social Security Number are received by the court.
You may get started using eSR: for Chapter 7, click here
eSR Computer Requirements
- Internet connection.
- Adobe Reader (version 8 or higher).
- Pop-up blocker must be disabled.
- Browser requirements - It is recommended that you use the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome or Safari.