Case Management/Electronic Case Files (CM/ECF) is the automated case management and electronic docketing system for the United States Courts. CM/ECF allows users to file and view documents over the Internet. Documents are automatically docketed as part of the filing process and are immediately available electronically. CM/ECF also provides the following benefits:
- 24 hour access to filed documents over the internet
- Automatic e-mail notice of case activity
- The ability to download and print documents directly from the court system
- Concurrent access to case files by multiple parties
- Secure storage of documents ( so files are not misplaces )
- Reduction in courier fees, postage, and copy costs
How Does It Work?
The electronic case files system accepts documents in a portable document format (PDF). PDF retains the way a document looks when viewing it across different platforms, so the pages, fonts and other formatting are preserved. Filing a document with the CM/ECF system is quite easy:
- Create the document using word processing software. Or check your Bankruptcy form preparation software for electronic filing capability.
- Save the document in PDF format .
- Log onto the court's CM/ECF system, using a court-issued login and password.
- Follow the set of simple prompts to provide information about the case, party, and document to be filed.
- Attach the PDF document and submit it to the court for filing ( by pressing the submit button ).
- Save or print the CM/ECF electronic receipt e-mailed for the court confirming the document was filed.
Are There Additional Fees?